Transition Reads

A bibliophile and YA addict stuck in the awkward stage of becoming an "adult"

How to Be a Heroine: Or, What I've Learned from Reading too Much (Vintage Original) - Samantha Ellis

Thank you to Knopf Doubleday for providing me with an advance digital copy of this book!

I've never been so intrigued and entertained by literary criticism. This book was like a trip down Nostalgia Lane, re-meeting my childhood heroines and stories, and I loved sharing Ellis' connections and memories with each book. That alone would have made this a hit for me; yet my true love comes from Ellis' adult response to every story. This is where Ellis as a writer and a critic and a woman shines. She's not too cowardly to admit her younger self might have missed some things or idolized faulty situations. She tackles every character with an eye both fresh and nostalgic, seeing the good she loved and the bad she missed or glossed over (or even the good she missed). And I was with her every step of the way, from Anne Shirley to No March to the Little Mermaid. I learned so much from this book, and I can't wait to reread and rethink over the stories that made me who I am.

Winger