Transition Reads

A bibliophile and YA addict stuck in the awkward stage of becoming an "adult"

The Assassin and the Princess

The Assassin and the Princess - Sarah J. Maas First and foremost, I want a sequel. Sarah J. Maas needs to get on that.

Holy crap, this book was indescribably fantastic. I love the fact that the protagonist is a female assassin, and is therefore deadly and cunning, but still has intelligence and a heart. I also loved the narrative style, with switching points of view, which allowed Maas' already believable characters to become dynamic. Furthermore, the world Maas creates is highly unfamiliar, yet it works; the new countries and magic intrigued, rather than confused me.

However, what I loved most about this story was the mystery surrounding the protagonist. So many authors give everything away about their main characters, whereas with this book, you feel as if you do and do not know Celaena. This first of all keeps you reading, and secondly makes Celaena human and believable.

And can I just say that I hated Dorian. Yes, he had some high points and showed some good thought, I couldn't get away from the impression that he was a is a self-important, spoiled prince with no concept of reality. He takes what he wants, and he gets it. EXCEPT for the ending, at which point I was singing hallelujsh. Honestly, if it wasn't for Chaol, I would've given up on romance altogether.

Winger