Transition Reads

A bibliophile and YA addict stuck in the awkward stage of becoming an "adult"

Steelheart

Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson DUDES. THIS BOOK IS AWESOME.

I've never read Brian Sanderson's books, so I was completely unfamiliar with his writing style and previous work. But after reading this, I plan to read every book of his.

Not that this is an absolutely revolutionary book. No, this isn't a life-changer or something that sticks with you for days. But it is action-packed and epic in a way that I haven't experienced in a while, and for that I highly recommend this book.

Plus, the characters are very well-written, which is a HUGE thing for me. I loved that David is geeky and badass at the same time, and even more, I appreciated that I didn't have to feel exactly like him in order to understand him. So many teen novelists try to make their main characters perfectly relatable, which I think is a mistake; while we readers want to feel a connection, we also appreciate different personalities and senses of humor. No, David is nothing like me: he's impulsive (and sometimes stupid) in ways that made me want to scream at him. And at first, I tended to see him as the Reckoners did, as an idiot and a pest. But as the Reckoners (and we readers) learn more about him and see just how smart he is, we begin to understand him. And I think that's genius.

AND THANK YOU FOR MAKING A ROMANTIC INTEREST WITH A MIND OF HER OWN. I seriously can't stress this enough.

(No, this is not the most mature and sophisticated review. But I'm just fangirling, and I don't really care.)

Winger